December 15, 2018

The 15 Minute Social Security Disability Hearing: Good News or Big Problem?

What should you do if your Social Security disability hearing lasts only 15 minutes?  Does a short hearing mean that you won?  Does an quick hearing mean that the judge plans to deny your case?   How should you and your lawyer prepare for this rare but possible situation?

In this video I discuss the 15 minute hearing – what it likely means and how to best protect yourself if the judge is new and his/her reputation is unknown.

About

Jonathan Ginsberg represents clients in disability claims filed with the Social Security Administration.

Would you like your Social Security disability question answered on Jonathan's podcast?  Record your question for Jonathan directly from your computer.

Jonathan Ginsberg

About Jonathan Ginsberg

Comments

1. Albert Seymore says:

What can I do to get my back pay that was with held by the local field office after I was awarded a Fully Favorable decision by a Administrative Law Judge What right does the field office have. the field office with held my back pay for allege over payment that was reduced by the DMS and the Judge stating I did nothing wrong so the allege over payment was reduced to zero but because the field office is the writer it has made it own decision over ruling the decision or ruling by the Offices of Disability Hearing and Review Law Judge its been five years and I still fighting. How can this happen what right does the field office supervisor have disobeying the court order over ruling a Judge I though the Judge`s decision is binding

2. Hello Jonathan,
    Recently had my hearing before the ALJ he issued a continuance in order for me to get Dr’s notes for all of my visits. How long typically will I have to wait to be rescheduled he didn’t say and is this a good thing?
    Thank you in advance, Cheryl.

• Jonathan Ginsberg says:

Cheryl, it depends on the workload at your local hearing office. Here in Atlanta, it would usually take about 3 or 4 months to get back on the calendar but what I would do is this – once I had the missing records I would let the judge know that I would be available at any time if there were last minute cancellations and an open spot on the calendar. Whenever I do this, I’m able to get back into court within 2 to 4 weeks. JCG

3. Wow, glad I saw this! I would’ve panicked if my hearing only lasted a few minutes. But it’s a relief that it’s usually a good sign to get a short hearing. How common is it for cases to go that way, to be very short because the judge doesn’t believe there’s an argument to be made against the case?

4. hi Johnathan your videos helped me alot when it came to having some inside tips before my hearing. i was a mess but i had a good hearing (judge was nice and i answered all questions) she only asked the VE about 3 questons and my hearing went about 20 mins. her and my lawyer are waiting on a few final records from my treating physician but i have about two years of solid med records and MRIs included, the ortho just needs to send clinicals. i guess that could have more of an impact but to you does this case sound good? thanks very much. also my judge was saying how well my case was presented by my lawyer is that a really common thing?

• Jonathan Ginsberg says:

A comment like that from the judge is rare but not totally unheard of. That is good news for you – sounds like you have a good lawyer!

5. Thank you for the videos. My hearing was yesterday and lasted about an hour. The judge stated several times what a good lawyer I had? Also the VE said No when asked if I could do my previous job. He listed some that were available, but then made caveats (?), and gave a numbering system? 1-8 and he said 8 was his number, and pointed out all the jobs he listed required significant interaction with others (anxiety, etc are some of my issues). (They noted that they had already determined I could not do physical work, so this was to see about a desk job, which is what I had been doing and the VE said No when asked uf I could do that job still.)

The judge also asked my lawyer to stay for a minute or two once we were done, I waited outside. She seemed happy with how things went.

I’m hoping those are all good signs?

6. My hearing lasted around 20 minutes, the Judge was only on the job for two weeks and was very nice. The VE said I could no longer do my type of work ( Construction ) She said there were a couple of office jobs I could do, but when my lawyer questioned her about with them being cubicle type office jobs as one was clerical and the other a call center wold there be room for me to stretch out and prop my legs up 6 or more inches under the desk “since i’m stage 3 heart disease and blockages in my femoral aerie as well as blockage on my left heart artery and a blood clot in my heart for two and a half years”. The VE stated she did not believe that would be possible. The Judge said I wish you the best of luck when we were done. After we walk out, my layer said she thought it went very well.

7. I went to my hearing the judge asked for my check stubs for the past three yrs,She said my counselor had down I was a manager at my work,which is wrong I talked alot about my manager that we didnt get along to my counselor she must misunderstood me,So I assumed the judge wanted to see my check stubs to see if it said I was a manager,I guess you would call the person the VE that list if u can or can’t work,Does it mean good or bad she said the only job I can do is sort through peanuts theres no such job where I live to do that but I was told if they find you work you will be denied so does that mean that.

• Jonathan Ginsberg says:

If the VE can identify simple, entry-level jobs you could do despite your medical issues then you would not be considered “disabled” and your case will be denied.

8. Britney Byrd says:

Hello, if the judge did not ask the VE a question at all, is that a good sign? Also, it has been a month and a half since my hearing and I called to check on the decision, and they told me that the decision has been made, but I was in line to have it typed up into a legal document. I am confused and just wondering if these are good signs?

• Jonathan Ginsberg says:

Usually if the judge asks no questions to the VE, it means that you have either won because the evidence was compelling, or that you have lost because the evidence was extremely weak.